Welcome to our crazy life....

When I grew up I had the wonderful benefit of living a bike ride away from both sets of grandparents. Not so lucky are our kids. Even for the actual ones that live in Atlanta, it's still a about an hours drive away! So, this blog will have to serve as the next best thing to riding our bikes to see the grandparents. Enjoy watching our kids learn and grow one day at a time...

Monday, July 14, 2008

the little house

so on a street behind my house there is an old abandoned house that I pass just about every day. I always stare at it as I drive by. Though I live in a subdivision, I might as well live int eh country. for as soon as you turn out the back entrance it is evident people move a little slower around here. There's the railroad tracks, the millions of tall trees, people growing crops and yes, my favorite, the little house.

It's on the right side of the road, if I'm leaving my house. The railroad tracks are on the opposite side, I haven't figure out which side of the tracks this house was considered to be on in it's glory. It's faded wooden walls, double porch, well out back and over grown vines captivate me. The first day i saw it after moving to our home I immediately fell in love with it. I haven't seen anyone there, not once, but the grass gets cut now and then but I never knew how. until today, I saw a man on a riding lawnmower cutting. I thought about stopping but my sensibility got the best of me. Once I saw a huge truck there and thought they were going to tear it down, my heart almost stopped beating. It was just the truck that trims the trees close to the power lines. The house was safe.

why do I love this house? When I was growing up I was always seen reading a book. I could read a book in a day if my mom would let me. I love reading books still. But no book I have read in my adulthood can ever compare to all those wonderful books I read as a child....where the Red Fern grows, Little Women, Summer of my German Soldier, Slave Dancer, The Mandie series and my favorite Sadie Rose.....this house was Sadie's house. In my mind I had an image of what her house would look like. When I caught sight of that house, my image was real for the very first time.

One day I shall stop and take a picture. One day when I am not too busy being a mommy, driving to and from the grocery, teaching, banking and the library. Driving back and forth in front of the little house. One day.

1 comment:

mhandwerker said...

Oh Katherine, You are a woman of many talents. Your story was the perfect ending to my day. Please Please keep blogging. Love ya, mom